The forklifts are flexible and compact machines that have the power to boost your warehouse productivity. Although highly efficient, these machines can be dangerous as well. If not properly operated, these heavy vehicles can overturn and cause unwanted accidents. The forklift-related fatalities can be prevented if operators, employers and suppliers follow certain rules and safety programs. This means that the forklifts Melbourne suppliers should provide certain information about the forklift’s capabilities and limitations. Employers on the other hand, must train the operators to use forklifts so that serious accidents can be avoided. The chances for a forklift accident can be minimized if the operators succeed to manage the risks. Now, let’s see what the operators, employers and suppliers need to consider in order to prevent forklift accidents:
Managing The Risks If You Are An Operator – If you are assigned to operate a forklift, make sure you are fully aware of all your obligations. You will complete the job fast and easy, and also protect yourself and all other workers from unwanted forklift incidents. Here’s what you need to keep in mind:
- Operators should never drive with raised forks, move through corners too fast, drive across inclines or uneven grounds. Braking too quickly can cause overturns. Although forklifts are easy to maneuver, still the operators must be aware when traveling around corners or going down a slope;
- In a case of forklift overturn, operators should stay in the cabin with the seat belt fasten. It’s essential to stay there and lean in the opposite direction until the help arrives;
- Operators should always fasten their seat belts! They can be a life saver. In most cases, the operators who tried to jump from the forklift experienced heavy injuries.
Managing The Risks If You Are An Employer – The primary duty of every employer is to provide safe environment for all employees. This includes well maintained machines, providing training programs for the operators and effective traffic managing plans. The main responsibilities of the employers are:
- Employers must determine and specify the type of load that needs to be lifted and moved;
- Employers need to buy forklift trucks that have speed limiting devices;
- They should also buy forklift trucks that have higher capacity;
- As an employer you have the obligation to ask your forklifts Melbourne supplier to provide detailed information about the forklift’s capacity and limitations.
Managing The Risks If You Are A Supplier – All forklifts Melbourne suppliers have the responsibility to inform the employers about everything they need to know when buying a forklift. If employers are aware of the forklift’s limitations, overturns and accidents can be avoided.
- The suppliers should only offer forklifts with smart mechanisms;
- They should also offer forklifts with speed limiters that will minimize the speed of the forklift depending on the load that needs to be lifted and moved;
- The employers should ask the forklifts Melbourne supplier, if the forklift they want to buy has speed limitations;
- The forklifts Melbourne and forklifts Sydney suppliers should inform the employers and operators that the maximum hydraulic pressure of a new forklift is about 110% of the rated load. If the mast lift cylinders are properly adjusted, the chances of over-tipping will be close to zero.