Cabernet Sauvignon, also known as “King Of The Red Grapes” is a relatively young grape varietal that appeared in France in the 17th century and has since become one of the most preferred and recognized red wine grape variety. An interesting thing for those who didn’t know, the name of Cabernet Sauvignon is a combo of Cabernet Franc and Sauvignong Blanc.
Nowadays, you can find numerous wineries that produce several Cabernet Sauvignon types, from single Cabernet Sauvignon varietal to limited edition bottles and splendid Cabernet Sauvignon blends. So, if you are a fan of Cabernet Sauvginon varietal and its exquisite blends, and want to arm yourself with some fun facts about it, read on.
- Cabernet Sauvignon Special Day – Many of us do not need a special excuse or an occasion to open a bottle of good old “Cab Sav” varietal. But did you know that Cabernet Sauvignon has its own day? Yeah, it’s for real; we’re not playing jokes with you! Every August, on Thursday right before Labor Day, it is the Cabernet Sauvignon day. If you want to be a part of this worldwide celebration, next time buy a bottle of your favourite Cabernet Sauvignon varietal or blend, invite few friends over and have a blast.
- Cabernet Sauvignon Has Been Dethroned – As huge fans of every “Cab Sav” blend, we are sad to say that the King has been dethroned since 2004. Merlot has beaten Cabernet and is today the most widely planted red grape variety.
- Cabernet Sauvignon Has Ideal Paces to Grow – For those who didn’t know, France and California are the ideal places to grow “Cab Sav”. But today, the grape is planted around the world including Australia, Italy, South America, Oregon, Washington, etc.
If you are eager to try new Cabernet Sauvignon varietals and blends, check out these delicious selections for this winter.
- Balnaves Cabernet Sauvignon – This deep and rich in red colour Cabernet Sauvignon is full of intense elderberry, cassis and liquor aromas.
- Cape Mentelle Cabernet Sauvignon – Extremely dark and ruby red colour with a balanced mixture of thyme, blackcurrant and aniseed aroma.
- Bowen Estate Cabernet Sauvignon – Coming from the Coonawarra wine region, this amazing Cabernet Sauvignon has a lot to offer. Taste it and enjoy its blackberry and cedary flavours.